Thursday, November 15, 2012

An Extra Special Visitor

On Thursday afternoon, hundreds of volunteers and staff working at the Greater NY regional headquarters were called from our fourth floor operations center to a meeting with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and American Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern. But long before either of the featured speakers arrived at 520 W 49th Street in New York City, someone else stole the show. 
Cinza Iverson tells her Sandy story to Jay Bonafede

Cinza Iverson simply wanted to say thank you. Her Far Rockaway home was flooded by Hurricane Sandy, and then was part of a 50 home fire. Cinza ended up at the Red Cross shelter at Nassau Community College.
“When I walked in the shelter, I didn’t have anything. I was soaking wet,” Cinza said. “As soon as I walked in, I got nothing but smiles and encouragement. Everyone made me feel very comfortable. After two days, I started volunteer there myself.”
Following 12 days at the shelter, Cinza is flying to Iowa on a ticket purchased with help from the Red Cross and partner agencies. “I didn’t want to be near any water!”
“I just came to the Red Cross to drop off my forms to volunteer,” Cinza continued, “and to say thanks.” She left to a standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment