Tuesday, November 13, 2012

So THAT'S what they mean by staff shelter!

For two years now, I've been sharing the stories from our amazing volunteers as they've deployed in the field to assist folks who have been affected by disaster across the country. Well, now I'm going to be able to tell my own. That's right, I flew out yesterday to volunteer with the Sandy relief efforts of the Red Cross.

So far, I have met many people from across the country: including a woman from Louisiana nervous about her first deployment; a Chapter employee from the Erie, PA area who's done this many times; and our own deployment veteran, Lou Colca! Lou and I filled out our deployment paperwork together Monday morning, then took different flights but ended up at the same place: the staff shelter in White Plains, NY:
Yep, that was home last night. Dozens of volunteers sleeping on cots on the floor of the YMCA. Some of those volunteers have been there for days!

This morning, it was off to the operations center in White Plains for orientation and to receive our assignments. I have been sent to the Greater NY Chapter building on W 49th St, where the headquarters have been set up and much of my work will be done. At some point soon, I'll join the majority of the 5,700 Red Cross workers who are on the ground in the affected areas. But in the meantime, I can say hi to Lou--he's here, too, awaiting his assignment.

1 comment:

  1. So proud to work with all of the amazing volunteers and staff involved in this relief effort! Thank you, and great job!, to everyone involved :)

    ReplyDelete